TRHP Water Taxi Covid-19 Operating Protocols
In this time of uncertainty and isolation, the water taxi provides a unique and affordable outdoor activity for anyone wanting to get some fresh air on an open-air boat while enjoying the beauty and the historic assets of our region. A trip on the water taxi or on one of our boat tours makes for an enjoyable distraction from all the limitations we are experiencing on land. You’ll feel refreshed and relaxed.
We have implemented a number of Covid-19 protocols to ensure that you also feel safe on the boat. On this page you’ll find our protocols for passengers, our crew and for the operation and cleaning of the boat.
A few highlights from the lists that follow:
The water taxi will operate at 50% capacity with 6 ft. social distancing specifically marked out and enforced (see diagram below).
Masks are required for crew and passengers. If you don’t have one we will provide one, if we have them available. Otherwise, you will not be permitted to board the boat.
You must be able to board and disembark the boat without assistance.
Hand sanitizing stations will be provided at each entry /exit area.
Here are the comprehensive protocols for Passengers, Crew Boat and Dock.
It should be noted that if there are 7 passengers travelling alone, the capacity of the vessel will be 7 and two crew.
Hours – The water taxi will operate from 11:40 a.m. to 6:20 p.m., Friday through Sunday and holidays, with an estimated starting date of June 12, 2020.
- Visual social distancing marks will be placed at the loading /offloading docks showing the 6 foot intervals for boarding and disembarking. There will be appropriate distance between loading and off loading.
- Visual social distancing markers will be on board with station markers.
- There will be clear signage in the loading/offloading areas and on board the boat re-enforced by an amended safety briefing.
- Hand sanitizing stations will be provided at each entry exit area. Passengers will be asked to use the station prior to coming on board.
- A portalet is provided at the Groton landing. The portalet will only be opened upon request and will be sanitized after use.
- All passengers will be required to wear a mask while on board the vessel. If a guest does not have a mask the crew will provide one, if possible. If the guest does not wish to wear one, the service will not be available to them and transport will be refused.
- Passengers will be instructed to board and load the vessel starting on the forward port side (station 1). The vessel will be loaded from station 1 to station 8 in order. The inverse will be true for offloading.
- A safety briefing will be given with the current guidance for the prevention of the spread of Covid-19.
- In order to prevent unnecessary proximity of guests and to facilitate cleaning, the vessel will be completely emptied once an hour, including guests that are continuing on to the next stop. This information will be provided during the safety briefing.
- All passengers will be required to practice social distancing and will not be allowed to move from their station once boarded.
- Passengers must be able to enter and exit without assistance.
- Same household – same riders (groups that come together), will stay together. Adjustments will be made for larger groups, maintaining the physical distance from one group to the next patron, not to exceed 24 patrons per vessel.
- Passengers are strongly encouraged to purchase tickets online and show the electronic ticket to the crew. Guests will be able to purchase tickets via the TRHP website while waiting and while on board. Credit cards can still be taken via a touchless appliance. Cash will be handled with PPE and sanitized if possible.
- We will keep customers informed about symptoms of COVID-19 and ask sick customers voluntarily not to board.
- Contact information on website and at staging areas will ask passengers to notify TRHP of an infection/exposure.
- If an employee is sick, they will stay home.
- Employees will wash/disinfect hands often, using hand sanitizer with at least 60% alcohol.
- All employees will wear a mask.
- Disposable gloves will be made available to the crew for their use.
- Give an additional safety brief on preventing the spread of Covid-19 while on board.
- Clean AND disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces such as workstations/common areas at each stop.
- Practice social distancing
- Handshaking /physical contact will be discouraged/prohibited
- Disposable wipes will be provided to the crew for spot wipe downs
- Prepare to adjust to meet the State of CT guidelines regarding Corona virus as changes are made
- The crew will maintain a passenger roster with a point of contact (email / phone number) for contact tracing