Together, we can make the heritage and culture of the Thames River region vivid and relevant to all by connecting people, communities, institutions, sites, and stories to the historic waterfront and natural landscape of the river. Please donate now with a gift to the Thames River Heritage Park.
In just a few years, the Thames River Heritage Park has expanded its program from a water taxi ride linking historic partner sites along the river to include a host of historic land and boat tours. In 2018 we had 6,600 passengers enjoy a ride on our water taxi, visiting sites, dining or just getting out on the water. That number grew to over 11,000 in 2019.
With your support in 2019, we were able to offer:
- boat tours featuring our region’s military history.
- walking tours showcasing the site of a Revolutionary War battle, the first home of the Merchant Marine and Coast Guard, and the historic district where Nathan Hale and Eugene O’Neill walked the streets.
- thematic group tours that brought busloads to our partner sites including the Avery-Copp House, Hempsted Houses, Lyman Allyn Art Museum, and Monte Cristo Cottage introducing the stories of our region to hundreds more visitors.
But the 2020 pandemic saw our growth come to a halt. Although we were fortunate to have been able to operate at all — albeit at 50% capacity, the momentum we had built has taken a hit. Your support is more important than ever.
As we look to the future with a vision of connecting more people – our local residents and tourists who visit our region – to the historic sites within the Park and the rich history of our area, here are some of the additional opportunities you can help bring to life:
- A new boat route to the Submarine Force Museum/USS Nautilus
- New historically-themed boat tours
- More programs with our historic partner sites to tell the stories of our nation
With your support, we’re making our culture and heritage relevant and accessible to all. But it’s just the beginning. We invite you to become part of our growth and expansion by making a donation today.
Your gift — no matter the amount — will be warmly welcomed and will make an immediate impact.
Thank you for considering joining with others who appreciate the Thames River Heritage Park and want to ensure that it can do its part to celebrate and showcase all that our beautiful shoreline cities and towns have to offer for people near and far.
P.S. Other ways of giving such as with appreciated securities or the charitable IRA Rollover might offer special tax advantages for you.
In addition to donating online you can also send a check to Thames River Heritage Park, 1 Waterfront Park, PO Box 851, New London, CT 06320.