The Avery-Copp House Museum is an historic home built c. 1800 and Victorianized in the 1860s. Located on the banks of the Thames River, it was originally built by Rufus Avery and remained occupied by the Avery family for generations. In 1895 Betsey Avery Copp and Belton Copp moved in with their three children, Allyn, Emily, and Joe. Joe remained in the house for the entirety of his life, which ended in 1991 at the age of 101. The house contains original furnishings, preserving it as a time capsule that reflects the daily life of the family prior to 1930. Not long after Joe’s death the Avery-Copp House was made into a museum.
Visitors who tour the three-story waterfront home will see the more formal rooms used by the family and will also see “behind the scenes” rooms used by the staff, including kitchen and servants’ quarters. Situated on three acres of terraced grounds overlooking the Thames River, the site includes Victorian gazebos and a carriage house that serves as an archive center. Offering guided tours during the season and events year-round, the Avery-Copp House celebrates, preserves, and documents the historic home, its collection, and the grounds.
Address: 154 Thames St Groton, CT 06340
Distance from Groton Water Taxi Landing: 0.3 Miles
Phone number: (860) 445-1637
Hours: May 27 – October 8, Saturday-Sunday 12:00 pm -4:00 pm