Following the loss of American troops at the Battle of Groton Heights on September 6, 1781, the wounded soldiers were loaded into a wagon to be transported down the hill and onto the British ships. The men guiding the prisoners to the Thames River quickly lost control and were forced to release the wagon. It collided with a large tree, further injuring the already disabled soldiers. They were taken into the Ebenezer Avery House which stands today on the grounds of the Fort Griswold Battlefield State Park. Today, the Ebenezer Avery House is open to the public as a museum. It was restored and furnished by The Avery Memorial Association with the antiques of the revolutionary period.
Address: 57 Fort St, Groton, CT 06340
Phone number: (860) 446-9257
Hours: Noon – 4:00pm, Fri-Sun Memorial Day weekend to Labor Day (or by appointment)
Admission: Free, suggested donation