Visitors to historic Groton Bank this summer will find an exciting new addition to Fort Griswold.
This spring, the Friends of Fort Griswold saw the completion of a project to mark the outline of the original barracks that once stood inside the fort. A total of 332 feet of granite pieces were cut in six- and eight-foot lengths used to mark the outline of the barracks on the original site inside the fort. In addition, eight 400 pound stones were added to mark the location of chimneys.
The exact location and measurements were sketched by a British Officer following the grisly battle in 1781. Archaeologists from the State of Connecticut surveyed the fort using historical maps and newer aerial surveys to pinpoint the original footings for the outline.
To mark the completion of this project, the Friends of Fort Griswold will hold a ribbon cutting ceremony at Fort Griswold later in the summer.